Speaking with native Russian speakers in my home city

In my previous post I mentioned how this year I've not been studying Russian as much as previously was the case. For the first couple of years I was averaging about an hour of exposure to the language per day. But so far this year it's probably not even 15 minutes per day, even counting the memes I see on Instagram. The reason for this laps is due to a change in personal circumstances which interrupted my study habits. 

But I have to be honest that I'm often skipping opportunities to use an app or listen to Russian monologues such as when I'm commuting or in the gym. Those are relatively low-effort activities that I could be doing in what is otherwise 'down-time'.

In July I visited the Baltic again but didn't have as many opportunities to speak Russian as in the past which was disappointing. But it made me realise how motivated I still am to actually speak with people. After all, that's my primary motivation.

So when I got back home I decided to attend a Russian language meet-up group. I'd been aware of this particular group for a while but didn't feel confident enough yet to attend. I decided that going to the meet-up could provide the kick in the behind that I needed.

I think it has worked because I had a wonderful time speaking with people that are either native speakers or learners. Yes I felt rusty compared to where I was 6 months ago (when I was getting regular conversation practice with a teacher) but I surprised myself with what I was able to talk about and what I was able to understand.

And yesterday I was in local bar and I discovered that an acquaintance of mine actually speaks Russian as well when I heard her speaking with some of her friends. So I had an opportunity to speak with all of them and they were impressed with what I could do.

Now I know that I'm only able to speak about a limited range of topics but it was an incredibly satisfying experience.

I'm determined to get back to good study habits. I now know that I have a place to meet other Russian speakers. During these conversations I discover where the gaps in my knowledge are and that motivates me to study and prepare for the next time those topics come up in a conversation.

I'm determined to get back into good study habits.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Use Anki

3 year overview of my Russian acquisition journey

Acquiring Russian: December 2023 Report and 2023 Review